2. Spend a few minutes giving me feedback. Survey is here.
3. Common errors I am seeing in drafts
- No indenting
Step 1. Login to the Compass 2g website here.
Step 2. Click on ESL 111-Sections C, K, Introduction to Academic Writing
Step 3. Click on SafeAssign Submission on the left side.
Step 4. Name the file netidDiagnosticRevision and make the file an .rtf.
Step 5. Please put your UIN, NetID, Course Section, and name in class on the top of the document
5. Compare/Contrast Paragraphs
- Watch this video
- Compare in a group what is different between your culture and the US.
- Look at compare and contrast signal words, here.
- Look at Paragraph 1 or 2, highlight the signal words you see.
- Now look at this picture, here.
- Compare how both pictures are similar. A comparison means similarities. Find three similarities. Use the signal words in the handout.
- Contrast how both are different. A contrast means differences. Find three differences. Use the signal words in the handout.
- Finish the handout as a class.
Next Class: Paraphrasing, Cause/Effect
-Submit your paper by Thursday 9/26 to Compass2g. I will deduct 25% from your grade everyday it is late.
-Write a paragraph that compares or contrasts your room in your home country and your room in Illinois. It should have a clear topic sentence and use at least four compare/contrast signal words from the Compare and Contrast Signals document. It is due 10/01 before class. Please name it NetIDCompareContrast.doc or .rtf. Put your preferred class name and netID on the top of the document. Put in the folder Paragraph Patterns>Compare and Contrast. Use this document to help you write the paragraph. Do not just fill in the blanks, please write a paragraph-Read this article for next class. There may be a quiz.